I have been a professional writer and editor since 1979. My clients come from the healthcare, higher education, and nonprofit worlds — Cengage Learning, Houghton Mifflin Company, Hazelden Publishing, Mayo Clinic, UnitedHealth Group, and more.
My purpose is to guide readers to personal insight and planned behaviors — the ultimate purpose of self-help and other how-to books.
The materials that I write and edit are filled with exercises, journal entries, and other interactive elements. These will help your target audience move through a full cycle of learning — from observation and reflection to intention and action.
Since 1989 I’ve been the contributing editor for the Master Student Series of books published by Cengage Learning. Becoming a Master Student by Dave Ellis is America’s best-selling college textbook, now in its 16th edition.
My books include:
- Career Planning Supplement to Becoming a Master Student by Dave Ellis, Stan Lankowitz, Ed Stupka, and Doug Toft, Houghton Mifflin, 2002.
- Helping Chronically Addicted Adolescents: Problems, Perspectives, and Strategies for Recovery by Cardwell C. Nuckols, A.G. Porcher III, and Doug Toft, McGraw-Hill, 1994.
- The Caregiver’s Journey: When You Love Someone with AIDS by Mel Pohl, Deniston Kay, and Doug Toft, Harper San Francisco, 1991.
- The Disease Concept of Alcoholism and Other Drug Addiction by Norman Miller and Doug Toft, Hazelden, 1990.
- HIV: What You Need to Know by Dorothy Flynn and Doug Toft, Hazelden, 1989.
Do you want to write a book that guides people to create positive new outcomes in their lives? I will help you produce a manuscript that’s grounded in principles of adult learning and the science of behavior change.
With such a book to your credit, you gain clarity and credibility — along with content that you can monetize in a variety of ways.
I can take your book from messy beginnings — scattered notes and rough drafts — to finished manuscript. To get started, email me: email@example.com.