Do you want to write a book that guides people to create positive new outcomes in their lives? I will help you produce a manuscript that’s grounded in principles of adult learning and the science of behavior change.
With such a book to your credit, you gain clarity and credibility — along with content that you can monetize in a variety of ways.
As a writer and editor with 25 years of experience in books, I can help you move from initial research to a finished manuscript.
For information on how to get started, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
About My Blog
I blog in order to think critically and creatively about books for behavior change. Here you’ll find many suggestions for reading — and writing — in this genre.
I am not a psychologist, therapist, or spiritual teacher. But I am an intelligent non-expert.
More importantly, I am a mortal human being who wants to live with a little more wisdom and compassion every day.
Let’s take a deep dive into a specific books, writers, and ideas. Let’s capture the big insights, find patterns, and make connections.
My aim is to distill the essence, discard the disingenuous, and discover what makes a difference in daily life. Like Jack Kornfield said: “After the ecstasy, the laundry.”
More About Me
I have been a professional writer and editor since 1979. My clients come from the healthcare, higher education, and nonprofit worlds — Cengage Learning, Houghton Mifflin Company, Hazelden Publishing, Mayo Clinic, UnitedHealth Group, and more.
I’ll use the principles of personal knowledge management (PKM) to combine your existing materials — articles, blog posts, presentations, white papers, transcripts, notes — into a polished book manuscript.
The result is a project that you’ll be proud to publish.
I’m especially interested in behavior change — the ultimate purpose of self-help, student success, business, and other how-to books.
I craft texts with exercises, journal entries, and other interactive elements. These help readers move through a cycle of learning — from observation and reflection to planning and action.
Since 1989 I’ve been the contributing editor for the Master Student Series of books published by Cengage Learning. Becoming a Master Student by Dave Ellis is America’s best-selling college textbook, now in its 16th edition.
My books include:
- Career Planning Supplement to Becoming a Master Student by Dave Ellis, Stan Lankowitz, Ed Stupka, and Doug Toft, Houghton Mifflin, 2002.
- Helping Chronically Addicted Adolescents: Problems, Perspectives, and Strategies for Recovery by Cardwell C. Nuckols, A.G. Porcher III, and Doug Toft, McGraw-Hill, 1994.
- The Caregiver’s Journey: When You Love Someone with AIDS by Mel Pohl, Deniston Kay, and Doug Toft, Harper San Francisco, 1991.
- The Disease Concept of Alcoholism and Other Drug Addiction by Norman Miller and Doug Toft, Hazelden, 1990.
- HIV: What You Need to Know by Dorothy Flynn and Doug Toft, Hazelden, 1989.