I have been a professional writer and editor since 1979. My clients come from the healthcare, higher education, and nonprofit worlds — Cengage Learning, Houghton Mifflin Company, Hazelden Publishing, Mayo Clinic, UnitedHealth Group, and more.
My purpose is to guide readers to personal insight, planned behaviors, and positive new outcomes in their lives — the ultimate purpose of self-help and other how-to books.
The materials that I write and edit are grounded in principles of adult learning and behavior change. They are filled with exercises, journal entries, and other interactive elements that guide readers from observation and reflection to intention and action.
With such books to their credit, my clients gain clarity and credibility — along with content that they can monetize in a variety of ways.
Since 1989 I’ve been the contributing editor for the Master Student Series of books published by Cengage Learning. Becoming a Master Student by Dave Ellis is America’s best-selling college textbook, now in its 16th edition.
My books include:
- Career Planning Supplement to Becoming a Master Student by Dave Ellis, Stan Lankowitz, Ed Stupka, and Doug Toft, Houghton Mifflin, 2002.
- Helping Chronically Addicted Adolescents: Problems, Perspectives, and Strategies for Recovery by Cardwell C. Nuckols, A.G. Porcher III, and Doug Toft, McGraw-Hill, 1994.
- The Caregiver’s Journey: When You Love Someone with AIDS by Mel Pohl, Deniston Kay, and Doug Toft, Harper San Francisco, 1991.
- The Disease Concept of Alcoholism and Other Drug Addiction by Norman Miller and Doug Toft, Hazelden, 1990.
- HIV: What You Need to Know by Dorothy Flynn and Doug Toft, Hazelden, 1989.