I am a writer and development editor. I help people assemble content from many sources into a seamless book manuscript. With a published book, my clients gain clarity, credibility, and content to monetize in a variety of ways.
My background and experience
I have an M.A. in instructional design and have been writing professionally since 1979. I’ve worked with Cengage Learning, Houghton Mifflin Company, Hazelden Publishing, Mayo Clinic, UnitedHealth Group, and other organizations and individuals.
I’m particularly interested in books for behavior change — a term that I prefer to self-help. As a “workbook doctor,” I craft texts with exercises, journal entries, and other interactive elements.
Since 1989 I’ve been the contributing editor for the Master Student Series of books published by Cengage Learning. Becoming a Master Student by Dave Ellis is America’s best-selling college textbook, now in its 15th edition.
Other books in this series include Becoming a Master Student: Concise, From Master Student to Master Employee, Becoming a Master Student Athlete, Master Student Guide to Academic Success, and The Essential Guide to Becoming a Master Student.
My books include:
- Career Planning Supplement to Becoming a Master Student by Dave Ellis, Stan Lankowitz, Ed Stupka, and Doug Toft, Houghton Mifflin, 2002.
- Helping Chronically Addicted Adolescents: Problems, Perspectives, and Strategies for Recovery by Cardwell C. Nuckols, A.G. Porcher III, and Doug Toft, McGraw-Hill, 1994.
- The Caregiver’s Journey: When You Love Someone with AIDS by Mel Pohl, Deniston Kay, and Doug Toft, Harper San Francisco, 1991.
- The Disease Concept of Alcoholism and Other Drug Addiction by Norman Miller and Doug Toft, Hazelden, 1990.
- HIV: What You Need to Know by Dorothy Flynn and Doug Toft, Hazelden, 1989.